I was tasked with fabricating a replacement housing for Merlin M842 remote control for a garage door. Given that the device is most commonly carried on a key chain or thrashed around in a car glovebox, the housing ends up taking a beating with age and a replacement can cost as much as $60 to $90. My goal was to create a competent replacement that would:
My laptop doesn’t have an ethernet port. I either use wifi, or this Asus USB Ethernet adapter. The device identifies itself as a “ASIX AX88772B USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter”. The other day it stopped working, though if jiggled around, would come on intermittently. If twisting the wire a bit helps the device re-connect, there’s a wire connection problem somewhere, so I decided to fix.
I picked up an early 1900’s English butter knife from an op shop, which had a bone handle that was completely burnt (I forgot to take a photo of it) and refurbished it with a new handle as a small DIY project.
Once upon a time I took it upon myself to create an electric bicycle. At the time I was still doing an daily commute to work 16km both ways, and thought it would be a good alternative to a car. The point was also to learn about bicycle mechanics through practice and have some fun with tools.
During my trip to Australia last November, my 7D got damaged in the baggage, where something has pushed against the rear LCD hard enough to dip it into the camera body, creating an opening, where a lot of beach sand and dirt started accumulating. Since my camera is out of warranty, and official Canon repair would cost as much as a new 7D, I take matter into my own hands, besides, I’ve already opened my 7D to fix a battery error already.
A few months ago, my 7D started throwing up this error, which would refuse to read the battery (even though fully charged) and would actually discharge it rapidly if left inside the camera for a few hours. Searching online for the issue revealed that it’s a common problem for many users, and actually a manufacturing defect in every 7D (MKI), though doesn’t reveal itself to everybody. There is a solution, which I found thanks to the author of this video, which details exactly what the issue is and how to fix it in less than 10 minutes.
My documentation basically follows the exact steps in the video, so hopefully this will help someone as well if you want to know what’s up at a glance.