Last night, after little sleep and some obligatory writing, I went to Phil’s house, eager to show off my creation and watch him play the [previous version of the] app. I haven’t yet seen anyone interact with it, and I knew the aesthetic aligned with a lot of Phill’s own works.
Half an hour into play and discussion about the sensations, feelings and relationships my work was establishing within that play session, he suggested to remove buffer clearing from the camera to reinforce the painting aspect of the experience. A few seconds later another hour of play ensued.
This move took this from the domain mainly dominated by audio in terms of focus and output, towards the visual. I knew the previous iteration wasn’t final, it’s just what I had at the time the time ran out. Playing that one now, feels like something is missing.
The experience in this new build is drastically different. The aquatic feeling is far less, as it is replaced by a more temporal aspect of particle behavior. Layers upon layers of footprints create the evolving landscape of motion. Sound becomes less important, a background accompaniment to your very presence in the space.
I cleaned up the last minute code I did the night before submission and here’s the first version of what I would call a “piece of software I made”.
I will be using this as a platform for further experimentation and learning, especially that I have another university paper to fulfill, which is the effector to shape the process and outcome of this experiment in play.