During my trip to Australia last November, my 7D got damaged in the baggage, where something has pushed against the rear LCD hard enough to dip it into the camera body, creating an opening, where a lot of beach sand and dirt started accumulating. Since my camera is out of warranty, and official Canon repair would cost as much as a new 7D, I take matter into my own hands, besides, I’ve already opened my 7D to fix a battery error already.
There are 8 screws to take off. The bottom 3, the top 4 under the vizor attachment, and one in the corner under the grip.
The back will be able to come off, but be careful not to let it drop, as it is held to the main body by a crucial flex cable that is easy to damage. Use a plastic pry tool to separate the flex cable from the board on the main body.
The screen holds a circuit which connects a bunch of flex cables together. I would recommend to take off the flex cables before taking off the circuit, which is held to the screen assembly by 1 screw in top left corner, and 3 metal hooks. The thin cable can be pulled out by hand, but the 2 wider ones need to be unlocked. Carefully pry the cable lock mechanism up (those hinges are really easy to break if forced) and the cables will be free to pull out.
Now unscrew the 4 silver screws in the corners of the display assembly.
Now it would be relatively easy to take the display out. It is glued down to the back plastic plate, though only relatively weak double sided tape. Still, care is needed, as it is possible to damage the flex cables when the sticky tape gives in if you yank the assembly out with force.
The assembly itself is solid, and the glass seems sealed to the LCD screen. This is both good and bad. It’s good because it’s water resistant (I never had dust appear underneath), but not so good if you’re only replacing broken / scratched glass with LCD intact, however you’re only able to purchase the whole assembly as replacement anyway.
the flaps that screw the assembly to the body on mine has been bent by the impact / pressure during transportation, causing the issues.
Bending them back with a pair of pliers, making sure they’re level with where they have to be, should fix the issue.
I also cleaned out all the gunk and sand accumulated in the gaps, removing the original sticky tape and reapplying new double sided tape strips, cut in approx 2mm width.
Once done, reassembling everything in reverse is easy, making sure to wipe all the flex cable connectors with rubbing alcohol to remove potential grease from touching the circuits, and removing any stray sand from inside of the camera.
Resulting in a total pre-accident condition, I didn’t even have to reapply the screen protector!